Deer Park Girl Killed in Crash Honored By Gov. Gregoire | News
Olivia Chaffin of Deer Park, was just 9-years-old when she died after being in a car crash in June 2010. When she died, her organs were donated to save the lives of five other people. Her family says her heart went to a 10-year-old girl in California and her lungs went to a 7-year-old boy in Pittsburgh. It's for those gifts, Olivia was honored Tuesday by Governor Christine Gregoire.
"It is a privilege to recognize and honor people who gave the ultimate gift to others – the precious gift of life,” Gregoire said in a press release. “And I’m very proud of our state. Generous Washingtonians have made us one of the top states in the number of residents registered as organ donors.”
According to the Governor's office, nearly 1,600 people in Washington are at risk of dying if they do not receive an organ donation. Last year, 118 residents became donors, saving the lives of 315 people with transplanted organs.
Gov. Chris Gregoire presented the Washington Gift of Life Award to six families in Olympia Tuesday. The award honors the families who had a loved one donated their organs, giving 22 Washingtonians a second chance at life. Families recognized today include relatives of:
- Christina Faulkner of Tacoma, who donated her kidneys and liver;
- Betty Moore of Seattle, who donated her lungs;
- Sylvia Reinstra of Bellingham, who donated her kidneys, pancreas, liver, heart and lungs;
- Alvino Sanchez of Sunnyside, who donated his kidneys, liver, heart and lungs;
- Olivia Chaffin of Deer Park, who donated her kidneys, liver, heart and lungs; and
- Henry “Blair” Graybill of Vancouver, who donated his kidneys and liver.
More than 110,000 Americans are on the national transplant waiting list.
The Washington Gift of Life Award was created by SB6667 in 1998, and directs the Governor’s Office to annually present the Washington Gift of Life Award to six families or individuals identified in coordination with an organ procurement to represent all those in the state who have donated organs.