SRHD releases revised walking map | Families
After asking for public opinion in July, the Spokane Regional Health District has released their revised Spokane Area Walking and Hiking map. The map features several walking loops throughout Spokane County of varying difficulty, and even though the weather is cooling down there’s still time to hit the trail.
“Fall is a great time to get fit and create good habits for the upcoming holiday season,” said Heleen Dewey, a health program specialist for SRHD’s Healthy Communities program. “WIth the change of seasons comes a renewed time to rethink and restart, and experiencing falls on these routes can be a treat for the senses.”
The map features seven local trails that vary on the map’s difficulty scale. Walkers can choose their route based on time, steps, miles, and estimated calories burned. The map also lists general safety tips to keep walkers and hikers safe as they explore the area.
While the map has been around for several years, the new edition includes these routes:
- Centennial Trail - Mirabeau Park to Plantes Ferry
- Cheney - Downtown Loop
- Little Spokane River - Indian Painted Rocks
- Manito Park - Cannon Hill Park Loop
- Medical Lake Loop
- RIverfront Park - Gonzaga University Loop
- Riverside State Park - Bowl and Pitcher Loop
SRHD lists increasing physical activity in Spokane County as one of their top priorities. In Spokane County, 30 percent of adults do not get the recommended 150 minutes of physical activity a week. SRHD hopes to change that with programs like the walking map, which includes information and tips on exercising and goal setting.
The Spokane Area Walking and Hiking Map is available for free online by clicking HERE, or you can find it at one of these area locations:
- Northeast Community Center and WIC Clinic
- West Central Community Center
- East Central Community Center and WIC Clinic
- Women’s Health Connection
- Spokane Regional Health District WIC Clinic
- WIC Office North Spokane Clinic
- WIC Office Valley Community Center
- WIC Office Deer Park Clinic at United Methodist Church
- NATIVE Health
- Wren Pierson Community Center